To Do List? Or, Go Birding? When that is the question . . .

Monday, July 8, 2018
Despite a long “to do” list of projects for the home front, I felt Gilbert Water Ranch calling my name when I rolled out of bed well-rested at 4:30 a.m.

Having missed the arrival of the new-born LEAST BITTERN when I was out of town last month, I was hoping for photos of one or two that might still have some of their baby fluff intact.  Fortunately, the young still show a lot of white belly that helps find them on the edge of reeds where they perch. And, here, they’re not shy — apparently accustomed to photographers that do no harm. Mostly, bitterns are excellent skulkers and camouflage well in the reeds. Searching the front edges of all the reed spots around the fishing pond, I saw none.

Just as I was walking away, Tam (photographer) arrived at the far end of the bridge and I’m guessing she waited for the Bittern to show.

She caught up with me later within the Preserve and walked me back to point out their locations. The moment we stepped on the bridge, an adult LEAST BITTERN flushed up and off. Most likely, it was feeding young in the reeds on that northeast side of the foot bridge. Tam said there were two hidden deep in those reeds.

Obvious to me quite quickly were the two on the edge of the northwest bridge reeds where one youngster was balanced high on thin green reeds preening; the other stood much closer to the water as if it knew food could be had in the lake.  

Totally fascinated with their behavior (standing perfectly still….preening…stretching) I stayed quite a while there with Tam as she continued taking photos and I did likewise. Since this was my target species, I’ll start my blog with various LEAST BITTERN photos.

First four photos are of the young LEBI balancing high in the green reeds. They must be light-weights to balance like that!




Note the feet....the bill...and that very focused eye!
The next two photos are of the LEAST BITTERN down closer to lake's edge:



Appears to be holding one foot up; note chest and flank feathering coming in...blends with dry reeds.


The 81° F temperature that began my day was rising fast. Skies were still clear so I took my leave after getting to know Tam a bit better and returned to the Preserve trails that I still wanted to check out.
SNOWY EGRET (golden slippers)
Size comparison: GREAT EGRET (right); SNOWY EGRET (left)
BLACK-NECKED STILT - with reflection
BLACK-NECKED STILT young walking away from its parent!
Took me awhile to find this male GAMBEL'S QUAIL calling from within a mesquite tree
KILLDEER enjoying the low level in the pond
SONG SPARROW also in the mudflats. Note light color of this desert southwest species.
Don't like this bird for good reason but it seldom gives such a clear photo op
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD

When I finally wrapped up, I spotted both a male and female GILA WOODPECKER taking turns feeding at a nest in a saguaro at the Saguaro Garden at the east entrance to the Preserve.

Female GILA WOODPECKER
The "to do" list will start tomorrow!


* * *
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58026321


No comments:

Post a Comment