Surprising morning at the Salt River, Maricopa County, AZ

Tuesday, July 30, 2019
Rolled out of bed early and headed to Coon Bluff Rec Area along the Lower Salt River. Never know what birds might show up!

Well !  Not yet 5 a.m. and another car was already present - young folks were watching several bands of feral horses munching the dry grass of the picnic area.

While I set out looking for various birds, I kept running into one band after another. Several were coming down the rock rise to the West; some were swimming across the Salt River from the North; some were coming from the South. Big animals, they brush up against the mesquite and birds were hard to find.  (I did well with 35 species but, for me, the great number of wild horses stole the show.)  When I first stumbled upon a few many years ago, I was mesmerized by these sometimes very handsome creatures that were cautious but not fearful of people. Domesticated at some time, probably. I've grown accustomed to seeing them there and they remember people, too.

But, wow! Do they live in the wild! 
As you can see, river is running full.
Note blob in foreground (I thought it might be waterfowl)
Young horse struggling against the current
Adults hung close and finally, it made up to shallow water
Eventually, the sun was up!
A tussle every now and then keeps the horses sharp
Mostly, they were pushing each other 
And, then, there would be a bird!  VERMILION FLYCATCHER (male)
Poor Mom; one young and one not so young snagging a quick drink
Female VERMILION FLYCATCHER  (peachy lower belly)
BLACK PHOEBE -- must be young: yellow beak, white outer tail feathers; hardly any black on throat and chest
ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER
Swimming the cold river from Tribal Land to Coon Bluff Rec area
Almost there!


Among the other birds observed were this GREEN HERON way out on a marshy area and a GREAT EGRET on another such area.





Soon after I had started birding I caught sight of this Sundog or parahelion an atmospheric phenomenon. 


This NORTHERN CARDINAL was singing its head off but I was coming from the opposite direction (way east) and didn't spot it until I passed the tree where it was perched. It was the final bird on my list.


What a day!  

Must have seen 10 or more bands of horses at this one location this morning. They appeared to be walking east (along with me) and would continue, I'm sure, for the remainder of the day from one area to another.

* * *

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58569449


No comments:

Post a Comment