Repeated Search for Rusty Blackbird at Coon Bluff Rec Area, Maricopa County, AZ

 January 3, 2023

    It took several days before I managed to return to Coon Bluff along the Lower Salt River for my final attempt at finding the  RUSTY BLACKBIRD.  

    Another cool day in Arizona, it was 45℉ when I started (solo) at 7:45 a.m. Sky was still overcast (it had been raining at my home). A slight drizzle accompanied me off and on as I trekked through the picnic/camping area. (In Washington State, I had been told that was not "rain" it was just "wet".)  

    Another birder, Samantha Starr was ahead of me. We caught up and she had already photographed the RUSTY BLACKBIRD among a group of four or five GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE I had seen in a tree. The Rusty was not among them when I passed by, but the fact that it was in a tree really caught my attention. Over the past years when this rarity showed up, it was always in the shallow water. (The river water's flow is controlled through a series of dams and it had recently diverted much water to the Verde River, depleting the recent months of high water in Salt River.)

    So, we birded together following the river trail eastward. She was searching for the GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET.  I didn't really have the ear for that bird, so I was of no help to her. 

    Eventually, I decided to call it a day and turned back along the same trail for a total of 1.2 miles, one way (for eBird report). Obviously, I was observing other birds along the way, photos below.   It wasn't until I checked my photographs that I realized the bird I hadn't recognized off in the distance was the RUSTY BLACKBIRD!

BELTED KINGFISHER
BALD EAGLE
GREAT BLUE HERON (mature)
RUSTY BLACKBIRD--First winter female, light supercilium, light eye, deep-bellied blackbird with short rounded tail compared to Great-tailed Grackle in the same area.

    On my return toward the parking lot, I came upon a pair of NORTHERN FLICKER (red-shafted). They appear to be an adult male and perhaps a first year male, marking unknown to me. At first I thought it was a female and male doing a display but the left bird is younger I believe.

     Before I reached the parking lot,  I heard and then observed another GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET. As active as ever, I never caught a full photo of anything but its back---that, itself is a diagnostic marker.

    
    I left Coon Bluff feeling very good about finally getting that elusive RUSTY BLACKBIRD.

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment