Early-morning Birding at a local Hotspot, Maricopa County, Arizona

 Thursday, August 18, 2022

    Although the sun is rising later each day, my arrival at a local hotspot at 5:51 was still a bit early for good photos. Taking pictures has become my secondary joy in this activity called "Birding."

    As the sun rose in the sky, it remained clear and reasonably cool at 86°F, but for desert dwellers like myself, the humidity was way beyond our 10% comfort zone. It was over 60%. An occasional light breeze helped evaporate accumulating perspiration. I rarely sweat.

    For those of you familiar with the best birding places in the Apache Junction - Mesa area, I'll post photos first to let you decide where I went to see the birds this morning.

American Kestrel

        Common Gallinule; above and below. Note the dramatic feet!


Great Egret
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs

    The best opportunity for an unusual photograph arrived when a COOPER'S HAWK landed on a mesquite limb along the path. It held tight to prey between its talons, pressing it down against the limb so it could begin tearing it apart.

       Bigger than a Sharp-shinned? Check!. Long barred tail rounded at white tip? Check! 
    Orange-buff chest-No! Streaked breast of Juvenile?  Yes!                      

    The Cooper's had landed on my way to look for the rare BLUE-WINGED WARBLER at Gilbert Water Ranch (if you hadn't already guessed), but it was still fairly early and I didn't stay very long for my search. I did see movement in the top of the Ash tree, but with it fully leafed out, I never saw the bird. Already having seen this rare warbler for GWR in Texas several times, I chose not to stand out in the heat to wait for its appearance. 

    The proximity to the COOPER'S HAWK would have remained my special treat of the morning in any event!!

    I'll be getting out and about a bit more as temps cool down. Maybe, I'll see you in the field.
Link to the checklist, below.

* * *

 https://ebird.org/checklist/S117152533



No comments:

Post a Comment