Birding in "Fall" proves to be much better than Summer at this familiar local spot, Maricopa County, AZ

Here is reference to two eBird Lists for the end of November for those of you who like to follow the lists;

THANKSGIVING Morning 11/26/20: - Salt River-Granite Reef Recreation Area where Lois Lorenz, Hinde S and I saw 44 species of some nifty birds. View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S76712894

Saturday, November 28, 2020: Hinde and I birded Salt River - Foxtail/Sheeps Crossing Recreation Area for a couple hours. This was Hinde’s first time there and I prefer going with someone because there is a lot of walking on river rock and, no matter how careful we are, one never knows what might happen…away from cell signal.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S76802602


On to....today's Blog:


Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Took my time getting to The Riparian Preserve at Gilbert Water Ranch, Maricopa County, AZ, as temps had dropped into the 40s. Wearing my Covid mask and eye glasses did not work well; breathing fogged up the glasses until I couldn’t see. Preferring to breathe, I stuck my eyeglasses in my pocket and made out just fine for the next 2.5 hours.


Cooler weather gave me a chance to walk almost the whole area around its 7 basins. (I often skip the public fishing pond, although it brings in some very good birds, too.). It had been months since I had walked that much of the riparian area. (hot summer)  Far from speed walking, I popped into each cut of the now-tall shrubs surrounding most basins to discover what birds might be foraging on the water. 


From the free parking area in front, I started on the east sidewalk where, immediately I started listing species seen and heard in the saguaro garden on the left side of the walkway.  Leaving the sidewalk that turns right past the restrooms, I walked directly forward to an opening onto the edge of Pond 7 that still held some CANADA GOOSE close to the shore where I usually stand. Discovered they were not spooked by me; on shore, one stood right next to me. Kind of eerie for short me to stand next to one as if I could carry on a conversation.


Not all basins were filled with water, but most had at least some water where the wintering ducks have returned. Half the time, they're sleeping but, nonetheless, it's fun to see them in a variety of poses. I'm going to drop in a few birds that appeared early on before I settle into the special ones of the day. Can you identify these?





In order from top to bottom, the photos are:AMERICAN KESTREL, BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON, PIED-BILLED GREBE, GREAT EGRET and SNOWY EGRET.


The best passerine was the GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE playing around a downed limb that had fallen into the west edge of Pond 1. (Trail goes between Pond 7 & Pond 1)


Photographers lined the northeast corner of Pond 5 and, no wonder! I counted more than a dozen SNOWY EGRET, other ducks, but especially two AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS, preening on center stage.




I left Pond 5 to take a look at the ROSEATE SPOONBILL on Pond 2 that has remained here since the end of September. It's out of its normal territory. I've seen it previously in Florida and Texas. But, I believe we've had at least seven (7) sightings of this species in Arizona this season.

My favorite "duck" photo for the day was this NORTHERN SHOVELER trying to rest but the wind had picked up and it kept floating in against the shore.

Altogether, I recall listing 47 species. You can view the entire list on eBird referenced below. I didn't realize how empty the ponds seemed during the summer months. But it was too blazing  hot to walk more than a couple trails; a couple ponds.

Till next time - Take care; Be Safe.


View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S76979382




No comments:

Post a Comment