Coon Bluff Recreation Site at the Lower Salt River, Maricopa County, AZ

 Wednesday,  November 4, 2020


Knowing the temperature was usually cooler by the Salt River birding sites, I finished up outdoor chores again before setting out to see what birds might be around at Coon Bluff Recreation Site. 


Getting my first sighting (Gila Woodpecker) at 8:31 a.m., the temperature stood at 65°F; the clear blue sky held a gibbous moon high on the horizon.


Considering the sun was already warming the air, birds were sparse for my usual approach to this location. But, by the time I turned my back on the bluff to head east, up river, I had already tallied six (6) species: GILA WOODPECKER, ABERT’S TOWHEE, SAY’S PHOEBE, VERDIN, BLACK-TAILED GNATCATCHER, and a ROCK WREN. Looking like a good day, after all.


Within the mesquite bosque, PHAINOPEPLA were showing up in good numbers again. But, each time I looked for perching birds, they were HOUSE FINCH!  Very abundant today.

PHAINOPEPLA:  female above; male sillhouette below

HOUSE FINCH (male) above and below

A number of BLACK PHOEBE were flitting from shore to catch insects over the river and returning to enjoy the meal.  


When I was scanning for a BELTED KINGFISHER that had rattled from a hidden area near me, I found something else - a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK (with its back to me). Very similar to the Cooper’s Hawk, but different in that it appeared to have a more rounded head, shorter neck and shorter and squared off tail than Cooper’s.  (eBird reviewer’s will let me know if they don’t agree.)



The Salt was running low today, wild horses only ankle deep in many places.

I saw only one duck - flying overhead - that I couldn’t identify.  Putting on some miles to catch up with the usual shorebirds, I happened upon a GREATER ROADRUNNER before dipping down into what may have been a boat launch at an earlier time, then heading farther east through the loose sand.




A GREAT EGRET was poised on the opposite shore looking for a quick meal.


It barely budged when a feral horse came close.


At the most eastern point of my walk (2.2 mi. from parking lot), a NORTHERN CARDINAL was chipping lightly. It gave me a break, flying and perching just right with the light for what I thought would be my final photo.  


Almost back to the parking lot, I turned to check the sky one more time.  What?  They aren't Turkey Vulture, what are they?  It looked like two BALD EAGLE!!  The birds were circling wide and high over the river and did not appear to be going anywhere else. A bit tired at this point, I leaned against the new rail fence for stability and started taking photos. 

Then I realized the circle was getting more narrow and that one bird had changed direction. Could I get both in one frame???  Patience...patience...not my strong suit...yes, here they come can I catch them just right???



Returned home, a very happy birder! Photos are the exclamation point to what I feel as I experience these birds.


Clink the link for the full eBird list:

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S75824586


No comments:

Post a Comment