Birding Three Days in a Row; Pinal and Maricopa Counties, Az

 Monday, October 12, 2020 (Indigenous Peoples’ Day)

Prospector Park, Apache Junction, Pinal County, AZ

It was ten years ago when I started making lists of the birds I saw when I was outside. Three years later, I realized I was still lumping all the sparrows together as “LBB” or Little Brown Birds. So many other birds were new to me, I hadn’t cared much one way or the other about those ever-present little brown ones. So I called myself a "wuss" and said, “No more LBBs.” So began my slow but steady move to eliminate the LBB from any list. While I may mis-identify some, they are no longer LBBs.


One problem with identifying sparrows is that they don’t all live at the same place where we have an opportunity to get good field practice.  So, when I saw that a neighboring birder, Samantha Starr had posted 9 sparrow species at Apache Junction’s Prospector Park, I arrived around 6:50 a.m. the next morning. What a text-book opportunity to brush up and get photos if possible.

The first birders who arrived walking toward me were Susan Fishburn and Brian. I was oblivious to Samantha and Cindy Marple who had already arrived and were "in place" to see the sparrows. Just prior to reaching them, a small flock of birds had dropped down from a bush onto the dirt trail on the east side of the playing field. One was an Abert’s Towhee; the other smaller. Whoop! Whoop!  SAGEBRUSH SPARROW. Right here in AJ saving me the drive all the way west to Thrasher Corner to find it!


Just standing and observing, then, along with Samantha, Cindy, Brian and Susan, I was able to name and get photos of the following: Sagebrush, Brewer’s, Black-throated, Clay-colored, Lincoln’s, Vesper.  Not all photos turned out well; here are a few that did:


1.  SAGEBRUSH SPARROW



2. BREWER'S SPARROW



3. VESPER SPARROW



4. BLACK-THROATED SPARROW



5.  LINCOLN'S SPARROW


Many other birds were foraging or bathing in mud puddles left by the sprinkler system:

female VERMILLION FLYCATCHER fluffing and drying after her morning bath


CACTUS WREN checking out a potential nesting spot?
RED-TAILED HAWK


Prospector Park provided a bonanza of birds on this holiday Monday! 

****


Tuesday, October 6, 2020

PAPAGO PARK-SOUTHEAST POND

Stopping here after an early-morning appointment in Phoenix, I saw and photographed many common birds. The least common and best sighting from my perspective was a GRAY FLYCATCHER that helps its proper identification by flicking its tail downward when it alights on its perch.


*****

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Salt River—Coon Bluff Recreation Area, Maricopa County, AZ

A sliver of the crescent moon hung low in the sky before the sun’s brightness rose up on the opposite horizon as I drove west toward Coon Bluff.  Was I really feeling the energy of nature and its natural systems showering me?  Or, was it just the temperature that I hadn’t experienced in months? - 51°F !   


For me, the natural treasure at Coon Bluff is “birds”.  For others, it might mean damsel flies or dragonflies?  Fishermen, hikers and horse watchers arrived at about the time I reached the parking lot at 6:00 a.m. to pursue their passions. Friend, Lois Lorenz pulled in shortly after I did and we got underway. Nature was still asleep! But, not for long.


GREATER ROADRUNNER
Male VERMILLLON FLYCATCHER
Mature BALD EAGLE

Four Peaks in the background just at dawn
revealing continued smoky haze in the air

With cooler morning temperatures, it felt good to go out to explore with a bit more energy!


Until, next post....


* * *




No comments:

Post a Comment