A Bit of Local Birding: Valentine's Day and 2/15/20

Friday, February 14, 2020
Although I don't do much afternoon birding, I may need to do it a bit more often if today's visit to Zanjero Park could be replicated at other sites.

First off, I was amazed to see poppies in full bloom along the hill from the sidewalk down into the basin.





Burrowing Owls hunt by day so none of the usual burrows had Owls standing by.  But within an enclosure of black mesh netting I found one out of its burrow. Construction workers bring the BUOW to this location with nesting areas provided by a coalition of groups including Desert Rivers Audubon. The rescued Owls acclimate to this nesting area with protection. A quick photo through the mesh is not a good pic but shows at least one of the new Burrowing Owls.


Walking slowly throughout the area, I took photos of some expected desert birds:
Two CURVE-BILLED THRASHER
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD (male)
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (Audubon's)  (Male)  above & below

Having covered the basin, I decided to walk up to the surrounding agricultural field. When what to my wondering eyes did appear - but a Valentine-in-progress.


Two GREATER ROADRUNNER



Mating ritual in progress, the birds were either unaware of my sudden presence or were too occupied to care. It took me awhile to realize I should push the movie button.  OOPS!  Looks like the video is not supported on this format.  It simply showed the male finishing and rising from the female, walking off to a muddy berm with his "enticement" of a field mouse still in its beak. Did he offer it again to his Lady?  Nope - downed it himself in one Big Gulp!

She, in the meantime, stood up quickly, fluffed her feathers, seemed surprised to see me, but looked around as if to say, "Where did he go?"

Many photos ensued as they both continued to forage about five feet apart from one another.

What a privilege!
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S64473519


Saturday, February 16, 2021

When I checked the temperature out at Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior for the time of the arranged Bird Walk, it was to be 38°F.  I stayed home and got some work done to arrive later and bird on my own.  

It was a 4-Wren day: ROCK, CANYON, BEWICK'S and CACUS WREN!.

Three SAVANNAH SPARROW sang from the marsh edge as I came down the hill toward Lake Ayer where a female RING-NECKED DUCK, PIED-BILLED GREBE and AMERICAN COOT were foraging.

One BROAD-BILLED HUMMINGBIRD was too quick at a feeder for a photo but its blue throat area was shining in the sunlight. ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD were the only other species I noted.

With thirty (30) species total, it had been a gorgeous day from about 9 am. 'til noontime.
Best bird shouldn't have been tricky because it nests there, but it gave such a hunched look of Black Hawk that I kept seeing things I shouldn't have...like a second band on the tail (really the white under tail coverts of the HARRIS'S HAWK.  Always fun to find a hawk perched.




HARRIS'S HAWK - 3 above photos
Until next time. . .

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S64524599

* * *


No comments:

Post a Comment