Solo Birding at some Tucson Parks, Pima County, AZ

Thursday, May 2, 2019

In preparation for an early departure tomorrow Friday (5/3/19) for a Tucson Audubon weekend birding event in Mexico, I drove to Tucson a day early so I could be well rested.

So, on this morning (5/2) I birded solo at El Rio Open Space, Christopher Columbus Park and Reid Park before heading to my overnight accommodations.

Photos from this day (using my old camera in place of the one being repaired):

GREATER ROAD RUNNER (El Rio Open Space) - more dry land to bird than wet!
Although birds were plentiful, I took few successful photos of the 29 species I spotted. Check link is below:
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55675502

During the hour I birded at Christopher Columbus Park, the temps warmed up a bit but photographs worked better.
SNOW GOOSE -dark form, sometimes called "Blue Goose"
GREAT BLUE HERON at nest
A more hidden nest was on some limbs a bit lower with another GBH on it
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE - letting everyone know it was there!
Christopher Columbus Park checklist:
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55680447


Entering Reid Park (across from the Zoo) by way of the Rose Garden, I took my time.


While birding the park grounds, it was obvious that the water birds were tame around people so I took advantage for some photos:


NEOTROPIC CORMORANT
AMERICAN WIGEON
Below are several photos of BLACK-CROWN NIGHT HERON....four of them were in various places in the park.

Series of BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON -- stunning bird!


Juvenile BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON
Pair of VERMILION FLYCATCHER (male below; female above)
WOOD DUCK



View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55685947


By the time I finished up at Reid Park, I was able to check out the meeting place for the Tuscon Audubon trip the next morning and head off to rest up for the big birding weekend.


* * *



1 comment:

  1. Great recap of a nice trip. It was so good meeting you and I hope
    to bird with you again.

    ReplyDelete