Thrasher Corner, Maricopa County, AZ

Saturday, December 8, 2018
Dealing with an unusual amount of traffic at 6 a.m., from East to West Valley of Phoenix, I still managed to arrive at sunrise.




Chilly air felt comfortably brisk beneath my layers. White-crowned Sparrows were singing from the southeast side of Baseline Road; I parked and walked out to the quadrant on the northeast side of Baseline where it dead-ends at Salome Highway. 

Without having stopped at a rest area prior to my arrival at this well-known "Thrasher Corner" of desert saltbush, creosote, mesquite and bushes, I squatted behind some tall bushes out in the otherwise open desert. Ah, relief. In my head I announced to the critters that I had marked my spot and I would be spending a couple hours with them hoping to find two birds in particular that might be difficult in December: LeConte's Thrasher and Sagebrush Sparrow. In a way, I was asking for their assistance.

Rare in Arizona, pockets of fog crisscrossed the wide open desert.

Walking was easy on the hard flat sandy soil in and around the shrubs. HOUSE FINCH were the first species to show themselves - catching the warming rays of the low sun.



Scanning the taller bushes, I stopped short when I saw this:


How do I not know you, bird with white speckled back?
I had never seen these "fluffed feather" white marks before.



Slowly, I approached the raptor. At first, with its head scrunched down, I thought it was a Sharpie (Sharp-shinned Hawk) but when I maneuvered to a better angle, I discovered it was a juvenile COOPER'S HAWK.


Juvenile (striped not banded breast marks) COOPER'S HAWK fluffed against the morning chill
It's rounded, not straight, end of tail also differentiates Cooper's from Sharp-Shinned Hawk
With this new learning experience of a well-known raptor, I felt good about the morning stretched ahead of me.

Still fairly quiet, I enjoyed stretching my legs across the desert to the North and farther East in that same quadrant before returning closer to where I had begun. Having already been told my target bird was not located in this quadrant, I started there anyway remembering one of my first good birding visits there with Tommy D and Caleb. How would I do on my own these several years later? 

As I considered moving to another corner of the desert, I heard a thrasher song not far from where the Cooper's Hawk had formerly been perched. Yes, I recognized your song, BENDIRE'S THRASHER. Good to see you, too, in desert away from Lost Dutchman State Park where I most often see that species, intermittently.



BENDIRE'S THRASHER
Note light eye, relatively straight, not deeply curved, bill
Same BENDIRE'S THRASHER
With the sun higher in the sky I began to hear familiar desert songbirds: VERDIN, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, more WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWs. But now seemed a good time to move to another of these four corners of desert. 

Not yet, called a CRISSAL THRASHER: I'm over here. Not seeing it, I followed its voice. 


CRISSAL THRASHER
Its plain gray/brown back is darker than that of LeConte's as is its under-tail coverts.
Same CRISSAL THRASHER--only a hint of its dark feathers beneath its tail are showing, but its enough
Thanking the CRTH for calling me back away from my walk toward the car, I looked around and listened again. With 1.5 hours already lapsed (some because I was so early), I now walked across Baseline to the southeast quadrant full of WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, a MOURNING DOVE and HOUSE FINCH.

Crossing Salome Highway from there, I entered another great swathe of wide open desert. Breathing deeply as I walked, seeing no birds active on the ground or singing from tops of  trees, I just felt good and comfortable in the open space. 

From the north, a man on a bicycle was pedaling toward me on a narrow well-used trail (new to me). I had noted a house and mobile home to the south so assumed he knew a town for shopping or something. Maybe, as it turns out, he was just taking his dog (unleashed) for a run through the desert. He called out the dog was loose; I said OK. Immediately, the good-sized black dog came up, sniffed me and returned immediately when called by its owner.

I continued westward to get farther from civilization. Strangely, my iPhone worked out here in this isolated somewhat desolate spot; I was listing species on eBird as I saw them. In the "boonies" there is always the issue of "what if". Not a very fearful person, I am, however, aware of safety and generally try to bird with someone else in such places. But spontaneity is not conducive to this happening and I actually, many times, prefer birding by myself.

Is that a CURVE-BILLED THRASHER I hear?? Rarely hearing it vocalize more than its Wheet! Wheet! call, I heard this in the middle of this bird's song.It's bill too long, curved and thin to be a CURVE-BILLED, I really couldn't identify it within a mesquite tree hidden by branches and needles.  [Later learned that the LeConte's has a "prreeet-preeet" call in its song.

Much later and farther north, I heard a similar song without the wheet-wheet!. It was my target bird, LeCONTE'S THRASHER.


LECONTE'S THRASHER
Note the dark eye and much lighter under-tail feathers than Crissal Thrasher

Look closely for thin throat stripe on this LeCONTE'S THRASHER
Having spent a good amount of time with this bird, I realized I hadn't yet spotted any SAGEBRUSH SPARROWs. Maybe its chip woke me up to that fact! As soon as I realized it, I heard one.

My nemesis is trying to photograph this sparrow that loves to run on the desert from shrub to shrub, tail held high. I'm slow with the camera. But, look! Did it just wake up? It's foraging beside the bush.
SAGEBRUSH SPARROW (above & below)
White lores behind bill, white belly, narrow streaks on back, pale gray/brown; complete white eye ring

Thrilled to have finally photographed this quick bird, I headed slowly eastward toward Salome Highway. More SAGEBRUSH SPARROWs were awake and running now, from the base of one bush to another. I laughed and thanked the one I managed for a photo ID.

Passing by the memorable spot of the mini-cobra-like Diamondback Rattler hissing at me last year, I was glad it was too cold to worry about snakes today.

Another cherished day in the wild.


* * *
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50515359
















No comments:

Post a Comment