Beat-the-Heat Birding; September 5th & 6th

Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Up early, I finished up with an appointment in time to arrive at Gilbert Water Ranch at 6:45 a.m.  To bird the place thoroughly, I like to start at dawn but life is like that. 

Starting with the parking lot, I saw one species of bird after another. Proceeding on my usual walk, I was thrilled to see an OSPREY circling over Pond 7.





Later, I caught up with the OSPREY again enjoying its sushi breakfast.

SUCCESS!

On the same platform, different time, a RED-TAILED HAWK perched with a keen eye focused on the grasses below.

SNOWY EGRET is one of my favorite wading birds.

And, that's how I'm accustomed to seeing them -- in the water patiently waiting to spear a fish. So, I'm always surprised when I find one like this:
SNOWY EGRET - perched in a tree. Note yellow feet--a good way to identify the bird.
In the desert, we can tell when Summer turns to Fall by the shift in the bird species. WHITE-WINGED DOVES are numerous during the summer; they feed on the nectar of the big white saguaro blooms. Today, I saw only two in 2 /12 hours of birding. They're heading back to Mexico and Central America.
WHITE-WINGED DOVE
Although I don't believe it's seasonal, the AMERICAN KESTREL was the first I've seen at the Water Ranch in some time. A resident species, it may find cooler spots to visit during high-heat days.

AMERICAN KESTREL (male)
All in all, a good day but it felt way too hot to continue the full round. In just the east side of the riparian area, I found 44 species but was perspiring to the point of discomfort so skipped Pond 6 and the Fishing Pond.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48312626

 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday, September 6th, 2018
Time to leave the desert heat, Jannie Blok joined me for a drive up to the Payson area to see what we might find up there.
The CANADA GEESE at Green Valley Park in Payson are reliably present.


Three CANADA GOOSE & One Domestic Goose choosing to walk from one pond or lawn to the other
Although distant, I can't resist trying for a photo of the VERMILION FLYCATCHER:
MALE 
FEMALE (note the bit of "peachy" color at lower belly)
We found WESTERN BLUEBIRDs on fences, signs and in the grass but not at all in trees. They like open spaces. Most were too distant for photos; this one, sort of out there, too.



By the time we left the park, many of the ducks were resting in the shade of trees beside the ponds. I caught this single female AMERICAN WIGEON walking slowly looking for a nice spot to settle down.

From there, Jannie and I headed a bit north toward Christopher Creek where we enjoyed more and different birds in Tonto National Forest.
Jannie (right); me on left with "hat hair"
Birds are tough to photograph in deep forest. How often did I try for a STELLER'S JAY?
Had plenty of opportunity, but this is the only photo that was free of branches, twigs or pine needles.




The Kaibab Gray Squirrels were busy; we marveled at their very long tails fringed with white.



Kaibab Gray Squirrel
Way off in the distance, I spotted a tree full of TURKEY VULTUREs. 

The number of bird species we enjoyed exceeded by far the number of decent photos I was able to get.

But we enjoyed a cool breeze and temperatures that never went above 80°F.


View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48337754  Green Valley Park

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48338075  Christopher Creek


* * *






No comments:

Post a Comment