Recent Birding Adventures in central Arizona

Although I've not posted a blog for awhile, I have been out and about looking for a few birds I haven't yet come across this year.

On Tuesday, July 31st, I ventured down to Pima County's Green Valley Wastewater Management Company to see if the somewhat rare FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCK would be present still. Checking in at the office first, I drove back and parked at the spot for birders. The pond directly in front of me appeared to be full of MALLARD - no lighter or smaller duck among them - but they were backlit. Arriving from the office right after I parked was birder, Thomas, from Tucson. With a look through the scope, he agreed. So, we walked over to the next pond with water and picked up a few BLACK-NECKED STILTs and other shorebirds.

When Thomas headed out to what appeared to be empty ponds, I turned back to catch another view on the first pond.  Sun was now behind me - but it didn't make any difference.
Other birders had shown up and walked out to where they saw Thomas. They would all stand back and view our target bird nicely, while Thomas came running for me to join them. By then, a third birder arrived and walked past those waiting and managed to spook the FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCK into the air. Those waiting for me knew that bird well and told me what to look for in flight among the flock of Mallards. Ah, yes, smaller size, lighter color, but most of all, that crook at its neck/breast area. Helpful pointer!  So, yes. I did see the "target" rarity. From my perspective, it was great to be able to ID it in the air since I had already seen it resting on land in TX and swimming in a farmer's pond near Tres Rios (AZ). It was not a "Lifer" for me, but it was a "Year Bird".  

Birders can be a strange lot! I'm not much of a number person, but I count birds to enter into the data base provided by Cornell University's Ornithological School. They, in turn, do nifty things with the data base that allows us to explore birding spots in any state, city, county or nation. It also provides ranking lists for each state, county, city, or region that you might want to explore. In past years, I've ended up a year of birding ranked right at or below #10 for Arizona. This year, I'll need to put the pedal to the medal to get back there, but I happen to be in the top 60 on the American Birding Association list, too. (North America). Since it's now just past mid-year, I'm hoping to work in enough birding to make this my BEST BIRDNG YEAR EVER. It certainly stands there now; and I'll aim for 500 species by midnight December 31st.  

The second bird I wanted to see on this trip south of Tucson would be a LIFE BIRD -- a YELLOW-GREEN VIREO. That species has subtle differences in a similar song. So, when I walked in on the short piece of the deAnza Trail from Santa Gertrudis Lane, I knew immediately, my target bird was present. Wow! It was busy foraging on insects high in the trees, rarely perching.  Three times I saw it fly; twice I was in the wrong spot when others spotted it for a few seconds to get views; and finally some two hours later (with minimal chigger bites), I saw the bird perch out on a limb for a decent few seconds. It was definitely the Yellow-green -- a vireo I had never seen before.  

That trip got wrapped up with ZERO photos by me.

On August 6th & 8th, I joined other birders out at Boyce Thompson Arboretum to walk with Rick Wright, a professional guide with Victor Emanuel Nature Tours (VENT).  Below are a few photos I managed during those two walks.

YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT
HOODED ORIOLE
BROWN-CRESTED FLYCATCHER
Female PHAINOPEPLA (above & below) [male is silky black; female muted gray--note red eye]

Adult COOPER'S HAWK enjoying its prey - also taking notice of us on the trail
Food First!
Yummy!
The next photo was taken at quite a distance over to the mountains from the trail. You're looking at an African Honeybee hive.

HOODED ORIOLEs weave this kind of nest (or sac) - below - fastening the structure on the strong part of the palm frond.


Today, I headed to Granite Reef Recreation Area along the lower Salt River, Mesa, AZ, to see if the TRI-COLORED HERON, reported there two days ago might still be found. Well, not by me but it wasn't for lack of trying!

Other good birds there included the following:
Slightly larger than a WEPE, this OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER perched up nicely for me as it sallied out and back for insects. It wasn't yet completely light; sun not yet up. Not as good with my camera as I should be, I managed to rescue this photo from a black silhouette. It's "vest-like" appearance helps in the ID, along with its white throat and belly marked with dark flanks the length of it.
Apparent juvenile male WESTERN TANAGER
Adult BALD EAGLE perched at this year's nest; two young must have fledged but may return from time to time.
While I was enjoying this BALD EAGLE perched up across the river on native land, I felt the presence of someone close by. I turned slowly -- very quietly a half dozen wild horses had come out from the west side of the area toward the parking lot. I hadn't seen them approach nor had I heard them until they were past me! There was a second young colt with them that I didn't see until this five (5) in the photo turned to run toward the river.  (6 altogether)

Wild horses; Granite Reef Recreation Area along the Lower Salt River [approx. 6:15 a.m.]

Liked the connectivity from the real GREAT BLUE HERON to its shadow!  (GBH)
Although juveniles can be seen now, this GBH with white crown and mature belly markings in an Adult.
Our local monsoon storm last night reached this location; many tree limbs and small trees were downed. Young green marsh grasses were very bent over but not quite flattened; the cattails remained strong and tall. Mud greeted me everywhere. The water catchment (for Power Road) was full and continuing to fill but no waterfowl on it. With the latest upgrade by the Flood Control, water was flowing out of the catchment to the Salt River making it impossible for me to walk out to the usual small "beach" there to look around. Quite muddy in that whole area, I eventually gave up on reaching the river right there and headed for the trail on high ground. Before leaving Granite Reef, I also walked the east-most trail still hoping to find the Tri-colored Heron, but no. What I found were young SONG SPARROWs.


Our Southwestern species of SONG SPARROW is very light-colored for desert life. This juvenile had no fear of me and continued to looking for morsels on the ground.
Tomorrow is another day; so, now that I'm somewhat caught up with my birding this past week or so, I'll head to cooler places....or just find cooler things to do!


* * *




1 comment:

  1. Finally able to sit down and catch. Love the areas you are birding and you sure do get around!

    ReplyDelete