Awesome but Quick morning at Best Local Birding Spot

May 23, 2019
Having looked at the forecast, I decided to take off from the house during a bit of what I supposed was a local rain event. Yes. Clearing sky as I headed West and became the first car in the lot at Gilbert Water Ranch. 

Went directly to the Fishing Pond where, within its reeds, I had previously enjoyed a LEAST BITTERN. Lucky Day!  From the bridge, I could see two LEAST BITTERN in the reeds so I stopped and took distant photos. Very soon, the darker (male) flew from its perch directly across the lake in front of me but buried itself in the reeds on the SE side of the pond. 


LEAST BITTERN (adult male)
That left a female or juvenile still in the original spot but as I lifted my camera another LEAST BITTERN appeared, flying
past the perched bird that quickly joined in flight. Apparently, no flight plan, so they returned and perched for a few seconds. Perhaps juveniles having fun.

Again, one of them took off, flew directly past me and perched on a wee reed (SE corner) not far from me. Did I mention "Lucky Day"? Couldn't have asked for a better view of such a skulky bird.


LEAST BITTERN (female or juvie; above & below)


OOOPS! It caught me with camera and prepared for take off.
Was thrilled to not only SEE but also to get photos of this beautifully soft-feathered but camouflaged bird.

As I left the fishing pond, I came across these two species side-by-side perched on a rock.
Gambel's Quail (male-left) and WHITE-WINGED DOVE (right)
Still wearing my black raincoat over my vest and fleece jacket for our cool morning, I walked over to the east-side trail so I could finish out the morning with the sun to my back.

But the gate was closed. I had arrived a bit before 6 a.m., but had spent considerable time with the LEAST BITTERN so couldn't understand the unopened gate. Upon checking closely, I noticed the padlock was not attached to the latch, so I opened the latch and continued down the trail. The air was filled with singing SONG SPARROWs, occasional chips and chirps and bill-clicking BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDs.

In addition to song, the Water Ranch was full of birds looking for breakfast: VERDIN, QUAIL,  HUMMINGBIRD, ABERT'S TOWHEE and CURVE-BILLED THRASHER. Also found three INCA DOVE on the ground.

INCA DOVE (above & below)

On Pond 2, I found a GREAT and SNOWY EGRET but few other waterfowl. Most have headed north. (I say this without seeing many more ponds.)

Came across two nice wading birds at the next pond.
BLACK-NECKED STILT
AMERICAN AVOCET

Needing to use the rest room before I continued, I discovered it, too, was locked. Yikes. 
Returning to the front restroom (closest to the parking area at the grassy field), I was out of luck. Did take time to swing around Pond 6, then followed the sidewalk around the Fishing Pond where I heard a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT and spotted a female tanager (possibly a Western but look was too quick for certain ID). This led back to the parking lot. 

It was a rejuvenating re-acquaintance with some local birds after a few trips to SEAZ.

'Til next time.
* * *
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56649472



No comments:

Post a Comment