Base & Meridian Wildlife Area, Avondale, Maricopa County, AZ

Saturday, January 20, 2018
Got up this morning and ventured across Phoenix to the Base & Meridian Wildlife Area adjacent to the Phoenix International Raceway (PIR).

Saw no other birders but fishermen were there early. A short time later, a group of young people arrived to start a clean-up project with Fish & Wildlife. The place surely does need that kind of attention and the teenagers and others looked as if they were having fun.

Sometimes I bird by ear. Even when I don't know the bird, it gives me a location to search. In the process of doing that, I heard a gun go off not too far distant. Yikes. I wasn't wearing orange and was venturing down every trail available. Eventually, I came upon one of the hunters. He and a few others were hunting quail - no wonder there are none on my list. (hopefully they stayed hunkered)

Worse than the gunshots actually, was the roar from PIR. Maybe it was qualifying races; the roar was intermittent but deafening. No birds were heard during those race-track runs around the circle.

Despite my timing being off to find a couple birds for my 2018 list, I had a good couple hours out there. The sky was horrendously dark and made for challenging photos but I managed a few. So, photos = fair to poor; birds = good.

First sighting was a juvenile NORTHERN HARRIER with its rufousy chest and belly all the way to its lighter vent and under-tail coverts. In flight, its secondaries also show quite dark on the underwing. For me, that's a great find of a handsome bird.


Juvenile NORTHERN HARRIER

Walking the main road into the area, water was high and ponds abundant. These NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS took up most of one small water spot in a marsh.


NEOTROPIC CORMORANTs

Then, coming toward me overhead was a good-sized flock of very large birds looking black against the dark sky. Wow! WHITE-FACED IBIS.  Photos are lousy--so bad I won't even post and you know I'm prone to do bad photos in here sometimes.  15, I counted.

Then there was a  BELTED KINGFISHER announcing itself and flying past me in a blur of blue and white contrasting colors. Beautiful. It showed up a couple more times before I left.

Songbirds were out and about.


SAY'S PHOEBE
VERDIN

In addition to our desert GILA WOODPECKERs, there was a LADDER-BACKED WOODPECKER,a GILDED FLICKER and a couple NORTHER FLICKERs.



LADDER-BACKED WOODPECKER - two above photos

GILDED FLICKER - with copper-colored head instead of the gray of No. Flicker
The Black-throated Green Warbler and Barn Owl were not at home when I went to visit!

When I was up one of those trails with the quail hunters, I looked up at a long string of birds approaching in the sky. White birds looking dark, but their shape was unmistakeable.


AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN- above and below


These two were just about directly overhead
The breeze picked up a bit so I returned to the main trail but wandered a bit before reaching the car. 

Best sighting was a very early (I think) WESTERN KINGBIRD!  




Bottom photo (above) shows a bit of the white outer tail feathers.
So, despite hunters, car racing and young people running around picking up trash with grabbers and bags at every turn, it was a delightful couple hours of activity!

'Til next time.

* * *

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42100826






No comments:

Post a Comment